Sunday, August 16, 2009

Busy Week

Greetings everyone,

Well, summer has finally stayed for a few days. It has been hot this week but good to have some heat otherwise it just won't feel right when the fall weather starts. We are very much in tune with four distinct seasons in this part of the world and if something interupts that pattern it just doesn't sit right. We may complain about the heat but we also complain when we don't have it .


This week I have spent only a little time in my sewing room -did a little organizing of projects on the go, making some lists of things I will need, and working on a Round Robin. Yes ,Carol, I am working on it. I hope it will go together smoothly. I also finished the second block of Veranda Views from Willowberry Designs. Embroidery I can do when I don't have to use my brain a whole lot. Even the thread colours are already chosen. There is always something to work on.



I also spent some time in my kitchen this week putting away vegetables. I got some beans and cucumbers from a Old Order Mennonite woman who lives a few miles from here. So I canned the beans to use in soup or bean salad or just as a hot vegetable. I also made a big jar of garlic dill beans for the fridge to use now. The cukes got made into bread and butter pickles, you guessed it, for sandwiches and the smaller ones I made into dill pickles. Everything looks good. I got it done but it took longer than usual.




My mother broke her wrist a week ago so I have had to go visit her some this week too. It is a 45 minute drive to see her. Along the highway are many pails of flowers, mostly glads, and some little stands of vegetables for sale. I stopped for some glads for her and some for me. They were just beginning to open when I bought them (3 stems for $1). Now they are just gorgeous.And the colours - so rich. Sometimes I look at colours in nature to get my inspiration for colour combinations in patchwork.



My daughter arrived in Johannesburg, SA this morning. She was very tired but happy to finally be there. I will try to get a link to her blog on here so you can follow what she is up to in SA if you wish. While she was flying over the Atlantic Ocean, I was busy baking a Blueberry cake that had rind of an orange from South Africa. Wow, does it ever have a orange taste to it. So good.



Now I will see if I can get some photos loaded in here. My oldest daughter is here yet for a couple hours and plans to help me. So, until next time, happy stitching.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Well, mom I have to say that i'm not sure I've seen an orange tree yet, but have come across lemon trees. I hope you enjoyed the blueberry cake without me. hehe